The Wedding Present Cup: The Final! (Part 1/3)

                           



Our final four tracks are:

  • My Favourite Dress
  • What Have I Said Now?
  • Dalliance
  • Dare


We are not going to have a traditional knock-out semi-final and final; instead, the panel are going to vote in a 'round robin' format. It will work like the group stage of the World Cup: each track will 'play' each of the other in three sets of matches. For each tie, the judges have three scoring options:
  • 4-0 (Clear-cut, no-brainer decision)
  • 3-1 (Some pause for thought before deciding the winner)
  • 2-2 (Unable to separate them)
N.B. I will post the results in three stages, but I won't begin until all of the panel have cast all of their votes, so as to avoid any temptation to vote 'tactically'. (I entered my own scores before any of the rest of the panel voted.)


Round 1

My Favourite Dress v What Have I Said Now?
A fairly close one. Gricey described MFD as 'a perennial favourite' but conceded that he'd 'found it a tiny bit dated as the rounds have progressed.' Gav M wondered why MFD had even made it to the final: 'I’d bracket it with Kennedy and Brassneck in the ‘overplayed’ list.' Johnny was the only judge to give MFD a 4-0 victory.

31 My Favourite Dress
37 What Have I Said Now?

Dalliance v Dare
'Difficult,' thought Ian, 'as they really should never be played separately in any case.' Steve M concurred: 'They're a pair, each is stronger thanks to the other next to it. Like Morecambe and Wise; Bonnie and Clyde; Del Boy and Rodney; Fred and Ginger; Liz Truss and Kwarsi Kwarteng. Oh, hang on, maybe not the last one.'

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the majority of judges made this a draw (five of them did so - the greatest number of any of the ties) or called it 3-1 to Dalliance; Harry was an outlier, being the only person to give Dare all four points.

41 Dalliance
27 Dare


Scores after the first round:

41 Dalliance
37 What Have I Said Now?
31 My Favourite Dress
27 Dare




Part 2 tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Present Cup: Stage 1, Group 9

The Wedding Present Cup: Index / Introduction

The Wedding Present Cup: Stage 1, Group 1