The Wedding Present Cup: Quarter Finals

                          



Four very tight contests: with only three sets of votes left to come in, two were tied at 7-7 and the others were 8-6.


My Favourite Dress v I'm Not Always So Stupid

In the end, the closest run contest of the four. I've always had a soft spot for 'Stupid' so it was pleasing to see this non-album track make it so far and get so close to the final.

9 My Favourite Dress
8 I'm Not Always So Stupid


What Have I Said Now? v Flying Saucer

Given that this tie saw my number 5 choice on the blog beaten by a song that didn't make my top 40, this was a particular personal disappointment.

10 What Have I Said Now?
 7  Flying Saucer


Dalliance v Bewitched

'Dalliance' has had a fairly forgiving path through to this stage; this proved to be a much stiffer task, with the two songs tied at 7-7 until the last three judges to vote all went for the Seamonsters track.

10 Dalliance
 7  Bewitched


You Should Always Keep In Touch With Your Friends v Dare

YSAKITWYF trounced everything in its path in the early rounds, and then took on and beat the mighty 'Don't Touch That Dial' in the last 16. It finally met its match here though.

 7  You Should Always Keep In Touch With Your Friends
10 Dare





Which leaves us with a final four of:

  • My Favourite Dress
  • What Have I Said Now?
  • Dalliance
  • Dare

When I did the stats post for the last 32, there remained a reasonable correlation between my blog ranking and the outcomes of this competition, with only two tracks not in my top 40. However, as you can see below, by this stage my views and those of the panel have diverged considerably...

The finalists' positions on my blog:

 9  Dalliance
13 My Favourite Dress
15 Dare
41 What Have I Said Now?

Winners picked by each judge:

4 Joanna / Gricey
3 Gav F / Gav M / James / Ali / Mandy
2 Johnny / Ian / Bob / Keg / John / Steve M / Mike
1 Harry / Kirk
0 Me



There won't be a traditional semi-final stage; instead, the final four tracks will face each other in a 'round robin' competition. Details in the next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wedding Present Cup: Stage 1, Group 9

The Wedding Present Cup: Index / Introduction

The Wedding Present Cup: Stage 1, Group 1